Holiday homes are a place where many people go to find comfort, serenity, and escape from everyday realitites. Yet, this tranquility can quickly dissolve if the right safety precautions aren’t in place. For example, what if you returned back to your property and discovered that it had been broken into while you were away? Holiday homes often sit idle for long periods of time, and that makes them a prime target for intrusion, burglary and vandalism.
Here are 3 tips to keep your holiday home secure:
Burglars often target unoccupied homes. Therefore, whether you’re gone for two weeks or two months, it’s important to make it seem like you never left.
1. Maintain a Lived-In Facade
- Maintain your yard and landscaping year-round.
- Don’t let mail or fliers build up.
- Use timed lights so that it appears that someone is home, even if they are not.
- Ask a trustworthy neighbor (preferably a permanent resident) to keep an eye on your home and contact you should suspicious activity, maintenance items or property issues surface.
It is a good idea to use burglar guards and sliding security doors.
2. Set Up security barriers
Xpanda offers a wide range of home security products designed to keep burglars behind bars and out of your home.
You may choose to rent out your vacation home when you’re away.
3. Rent Smart
- Get to know your renters
- Secure valuables
- Set ground rules for visitors
- Document the condition of the home
To find out more on this topic click the following link.