SHOPPING MALL SAFETY TIPS FOR PARENTS IN SOUTH AFRICA
At Xpanda Security, we take pride in keeping you and your loved ones safe in your home. Unfortunately, being in crowded public areas like shopping malls can make you a target. That’s why we have a few handful tips to help you stay safe if you are shopping with children during the school holidays. Talk to your children before an outing. Make it a rule that you must always be able to see them and they must be able to see you.
- Use the “Two Steps” rule. Your children must never be more than two giant steps away from you. It’s a fun and easy way for your children to remember not to wander off.
- Teach your kids that if they ever become separated from you, they should look for “safe strangers” to help them. Examples of “safe strangers” include a mom with kids or a cash teller. With older children, agree on a meeting place ahead of time, in case you become separated.
- Do not leave your children alone at video arcades, movie theatres, play areas, or other public places. Predators are known to look for unsupervised kids.
- Set up a “check first” rule with your children. They must always check first with you before going anywhere in a public place, including another store, play area, or even the bathroom.
- Teach your children to memorise their details. Holidays are a great time for some fun outings or trips to the beach, but should your child get lost, they need to be able to provide someone with enough information to find you. Help them to memorise their name and surname, home address and contact details for either parent.
- Remind your child never to leave the mall or store to go looking for you, no matter what anyone tells them. Tell them that you would never leave until you’re reunited.
Always remember, preparation is key. The better prepared you are, the easier it is to stay safe.