As online technology in the digital age increasingly grows, so do the capabilities of cyber hackers online. Hackers are constantly finding new ways to slip into people’s technology systems and steal valuable information that is stored online. Attacks can be directly targeted to an individual or based upon a system’s vulnerability. When using the Internet, keep a few things in mind:
- Do not visit untrusted websites or utilize untrusted sources that exist online.
- Do not open or respond to unsolicited emails.
- Beware of emails that require any type of verification from unknown senders.
- Encrypt your wireless router in your home using WPA2.
- Password-protect your home wireless internet connection.
- Install anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-malware software on your devices.
Hackers are known to target the information stored within mobile devices. Many popular apps feature an auto-login, potentially giving anyone access to your home security system, bank accounts, medical records and other assets just by obtaining your phone.
Before storing sensitive information, assure these security precautions are in order:
- Lock your device when you are not using it. Never leave your phone unattended without a password or passcode.
- Create strong, unique passwords for each application. Passwords should be at least eight characters long and difficult to guess.
- Disable auto-login features.
While social media has its benefits, many people often forget how public these online accounts really are. Hackers are now able to collect personal data online from users’ accounts to help target their victims before the attack. With the click of a button, they can easily access where you live, your contact information, where you like to spend your time, etc. Stay safe with these tips:
- Do not include specific contact information on social profiles or any other untrusted online pages.
- Avoid posting when you are leaving town or your home for a long period of time.
- Only accept or follow people that you personally know.
- Set your online social accounts to private.
Keeping your home and personal information safe from online hackers is essential to living in a technology-based world. Although security breaches are often hard to detect beforehand, you can help prevent them by taking necessary precautions.This article was shared via Vector Security. See more here.
The Xpanda Group of Companies offers the widest and comprehensive range of approved anti-burglar protection and deterrent security products.